As Eugenio Derbez's debut feature film Instructions Not Included / No se aceptan devoluciones is making history this weekend becoming the top grossing Spanish-language film of all-time at the U.S. box office, TropicalFRONT presents here the list of the highest grossing Spanish-language films in the country.
The list is basically comprised of art-house favorites, a fact that makes Derbez's triumph more historical for its mainstream appeal. The list includes four films by Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar (Volver, Talk to Her, All About My Mother, and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown), and some long-time Mexican favorites such as Like Water for Chocolate and Y Tu Mamá También. As an actor, Derbez already appears in this top grossing list having performed in Patricia Riggen's Under the Same Moon.
1. Instructions Not Included / No se aceptan devoluciones (Eugenio Derbez, Mexico, 2013), $38.5 million. Distributor: Pantelion Films.
2. Pan's Labyrinth / El laberinto del fauno (Guillermo del Toro, Mexico/Spain, 2006), $36.7 million. Distributor: Picturehouse.
3. Like Water for Chocolate / Como agua para chocolate (Alfonso Arau, Mexico, 1993), $21.6 million. Distributor: Miramax Films
4. The Motorcycle Diaries / Diarios de motocicleta (Walter Salles, Argentina, 2004) $16.7 million. Distributor: Focus Films.
5. Y Tu Mamá También (Alfonso Cuarón, Mexico, 2001), $13.8 million. Distributor: IFC Films
6. Volver (Pedro Almodóvar, Spain, 2006), $12.8 million. Distributor: Sony Pictures Classic.
7. Under the Same Moon / La misma luna (Patricia Riggen, Mexico/USA, 2008), $12.5 million. Distributor: Fox Searchlight/The Weinstein Company.
8. Talk to Her / Hable con ella (Pedro Almodóvar, Spain, 2002), $9.2 million. Distributor: Sony Pictures Classic.
9. All About My Mother / Todo sobre mi madre (Pedro Almodóvar, Spain, 1999), $8.2 million. Distributor: Sony Pictures Classic.
10. Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown / Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios (Pedro Almodóvar, Spain, 1988), $7.1 million. Distributor: Orion Classics.